I am a research scientist at Google, New York working in the Graph Mining team lead by Vahab Mirrokni.
I received a Ph.D in computer science from Sapienza University of Rome, where I was advised by professor Alessandro Panconesi and supported by the Google Europe Ph.D. Fellowship in Algorithms, 2011.
I was also a post-doc at the department of computer science of Brown Univerisity in Providence (RI), USA where I was advised by professor Eli Upfal.
During my Ph.D. studies I was twice an intern at Google Mountain View (2012, 2014) and once at Google NYC (2013). During my internships I had the opportunity to work with researchers and engineers from Google Research, Google+ and AdWords.
My research interests include algorithmic problems in data mining in particular in the analysis of large-scale graphs and social networks.
- A. Epasto, S. Lattanzi, S. Vassilvitskii, M. Zadimoghaddam "Submodular Optimization over Sliding Windows". To appear in Proceedings of the 26th International World Wide Web Conference WWW, Perth, Australia, [Conference Version - Soon], [Full Version], 2017
- D. Stück, H. T. Hallgrímsson, G. V. Steeg, A. Epasto, L. Foschini, "The Spread of Physical Activity in Social Networks". To appear in Proceedings of the 26th International World Wide Web Conference WWW, Perth, Australia, [Conference Version - Soon], 2017
- L. De Stefani, A. Epasto, M. Riondato, E. Upfal "TRIÈST: Counting Local and Global Triangles in Fully-dynamic Streams with Fixed Memory Size". In Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, KDD, San Francisco, CA, [Conference Version], [Full Version], [Code], 2016 Best student paper award
- L. De Stefani, A. Epasto, E. Upfal, F. Vandin , "Reconstructing Hidden Permutations Using the Average-Precision (AP) Correlation Statistic". In Proceedings of the 30th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, AAAI, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, [PDF], [Full Version], 2016
- A. Epasto, S. Lattanzi, V. Mirrokni, I. Sebe, A. Taei and S. Verma , "Ego-net Community Mining Applied to Friend Suggestion". To appear in Proceedings of the 42nd International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, VLDB, New Delhi, India, [PDF], 2016
- F. Chierichetti, A. Epasto, R. Kumar, S. Lattanzi and V. Mirrokni, "Efficient Algorithms for Private-Public Graphs". In Proceedings of the 21st ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, KDD, Sydney, Australia, [PDF], [Slides], [Poster], [Code - in progress], 2015, Best paper award
- A. Epasto, S. Lattanzi and M. Sozio , "Efficient Densest Subgraph Computation in Evolving Graphs". In Proceeding of the 24th International World Wide Web Conference, WWW, Florence, Italy, [PDF], [Slides], [Code], 2015
- P. Brach, A. Epasto, A. Panconesi and P. Sankovski , "Spreading Rumours without the Network". In Proceeding of the 2nd ACM Conference on Social Networks, COSN, Dublin, Ireland, [PDF], [Slides], 2014
- A. Epasto, J. Feldman, S. Lattanzi, S. Leonardi and V. Mirrokni , "Reduce and Aggregate: Similarity Rankings in Multi-Categorical Bipartite Graphs". In Proceeding of the 23rd International World Wide Web Conference, WWW, Seoul, Korea, [PDF], [Slides], 2014
- L. Alvisi, A. Clement, A. Epasto, S. Lattanzi and A. Panconesi , "Communities, Random Walks and Sybil Defense". In Internet Mathematics, [PDF], [Pre-Print], Vol. 10, Issue 3-4, 2014
- M.V. Barbera, A. Epasto, A. Mei, C. Perta and J. Stefa, "Signals from the Crowd: Uncovering Social Relationships through Smartphone Probes", In Proceeding of 13th ACM/SIGCOMM Conference on Internet Measurement, IMC, Barcelona, Spain, [PDF], [Data], 2013
- L. Alvisi, A. Clement, A. Epasto, S. Lattanzi and A. Panconesi, "SoK: The Evolution of Sybil Defense via Social Networks", In Proceeding of the 34th IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, S&P, San Francisco, USA, [PDF], [Slides], 2013
- A. Epasto and A. Altman, "Systems and Methods for Detecting Online Attacks" . United States Patent 9,183,387 [PDF], 2015
- V. Mirrokni, S. Lattanzi, J. Feldman, A. Epasto, S. Leonardi, "Efficient Similarity Ranking for Bipartite Graphs" . (Patent Pending) U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, United States Patent Application 20150220530, [PDF], 2014
Google New York
76 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY, 10011
mail: aepasto at google.com